Lopez, Iglesias team up for Orlando concert

Enrique Iglesias performs 001

LAS VEGAS NEWS BUREAU

"Musically, we're very different, and that's what makes the show interesting," Enrique Iglesias, left, said of working with Jennifer Lopez.


By GEOVANNY BREGO | Centro Tampa
Published: August 30, 2012
Updated: August 30, 2012 - 10:46 AM

Jennifer Lopez and Enrique Iglesias are superstars in the Latin and English-speaking markets and have performed all over the world.

Although the artists have known each other for years, they've never shared the same stage.

"I have never been on stage with Jennifer, even though we've known each other for many years; it's more like a friendship," Iglesias told Centro Tampa during a conference call he hosted for Spanish media in the United States. "What I like about doing a tour with other artists is that, when I'm backstage, I have a tendency to go upstairs and watch the other artists (on stage) and you learn a lot. It's kind of like writing a song with someone who has a different style, and all of a sudden, takes you on another route".

The duo will co-headline a concert Sunday at the Amway Center in Orlando.

Iglesias said sharing the same stage and audience with a superstar like Lopez can be scary.

"It's a little scary to go on stage because you really don't know how the audience is going to react to your music." Iglesias said. "But that is what makes it interesting and pushes you to put on a more attractive show with more energy."

Iglesias's pre-concert fix for jitters?

"I like to concentrate and maybe drink a little rum to kill the nerves," he said.

Lopez, who began her career as a dancer, is known for energetic dance routines. Iglesias said fans shouldn't expect the same from him.

"If I had to take danc! e lesson s, it would take a couple of years and even the lessons wouldn't help much," he joked. "Musically, we're very different, and that's what makes the show interesting. I suppose there's a big audience that likes both of our styles."

One thing that sets Iglesias apart in his live performances is that he likes to interact with the fans and often brings women on stage for some romance.

"I love to be with the public. A while back I had a concert in Spain, in Madrid, and even my sister asked me if it was planned, because you never know," Iglesias said. "To me, the dynamics of a show greatly depend on the audience and how it reacts, or if someone goes up on stage, what their personality is. That's why I do it, because I, personally, need it when I'm on stage."


Comments