Jennifer Lopez talks Kohl's fashion line, skinny jeans and 'American Idol'

Jennifer Lopez is once again taking the spotlight, but this time it's for her role as fashion designer, as she recently debuted her new fall 2011 collection for Kohl's department stores.

The Jennifer Lopez collection, the 42-year-old singer and "American Idol" judge's third major fashion line, went public on September 7. The performer has already achieved fashion acclaim with her JLO by Jennifer Lopez and JustSweet lines.

"I was inspired by movies and music when I was growing up - everything that I saw influenced my ! style an d fashion," Lopez told OnTheRedCarpet.com host Rachel Smith. "Even where I grew up, in the Bronx, influenced my style too."

"I think I would describe it as a classic, sexy glamour - we went through my closet and I invited them into my home and we worked on this project for a couple of years now, and that's what we really narrowed it down to - what my style is. I love classic shapes, I love being a little sexy, and I love a touch of glamour and all of that we incorporated into the line."

Lopez also shared some looks and current trends with OnTheRedCarpet.com, dubbing boyfriend jeans the new "sexy."

"I have a couple of looks here," Lopez added. "I love the boyfriend jean; I love the relaxed, modern vibe that they have. I feel like we've been in skinny jeans too long - this is much sexier to me right now, and a lot more modern."

"Even the top, the way it fits with all the sequence and all the sparkle," she added. "The dresses and the faux fur and the boots -- all of it is kind of incorporated from my own personal style."

Lopez said the clothing items in her line cost between about $20 and $150, adding that it was "very important to us, to not sacrifice the quality for the price."

Lopez's past clothing lines have faced scrutiny by protesters who represented People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) for her use of real animal fur. Lopez told OnTheRedCarpet.com that the fur for a pair of boots in her new fashion line that she described during her interview was not real.

Lopez also dished to OnTheRedCarpet.com about the next season of American Idol, and explained what the chemistry is like between the judges now.

"Last season was spectacular, and the same chemistry, instant chemistry, that we had as judges we have again, except you know we become more like a family," she said. "As a relationship progresses, it lends to different kinds of exchanges, let's say. We've been having a lot of fun with it, and are keeping it still very fun. We have found some gre! at talen t which is always key to that type of show, and I think it's going to be just as good a season as it was last year."

Lopez has been in the media recently for her high-profile break-up with her husband of seven years, Marc Anthony, and being spotted with 'Hangover' actor Bradley Cooper. Lopez also recently performed a song at an October 22 concert about "lost love" that prompted the actress to cry on stage. She has since explained that the outburst was because of her twins, Max and Emme, and mother being in the audience.

Visit Kohl's website to check out Lopez' new fashion line.

Reporting by Rachel Smith, co-host of KABC Television's entertainment show "On The Red Carpet" (check for local TV listings).

(Copyright 2011 OnTheRedCarpet.com. All Rights Reserved.)


Comments